ROLE TITLE: Controller
CENTER: Lloyd Leadership Team
REPORTS TO: CEO
The Controller manages all financial and fiscal aspects of the firm’s operations, and provides leadership and coordination in the administrative, business planning, finance and budgeting efforts of the company.
The Controller is responsible for directing the organization's overall financial policies by overseeing financial functions including the following areas: accounting, forecasting & budgeting, internal & external financial reporting, analysis, tax, audit, and treasury. In addition, they manage administrative functions including Payroll and Information Technology. The Controller also assists in the development of strategic initiatives and develops policies and procedures for the success of these initiatives.
Lloyd’s Controller ensures that their team and the Lloyd Leadership Team (LLT) are informed about key initiatives and have the information they need to perform their duties.
Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for the users and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and corporate governance policies
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures
- Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including filing of federal and state income tax returns, state sales and use tax, and employment tax
- Prepare all supporting information for the annual audit and liaise the external auditors for the completion of the audits
- Present the auditors statements to the CEO
- Develop, maintain, and oversee financial accounting systems such as cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, and petty cash, the general ledger, and bank transactions
- Complete analysis of periodic financial results; develop strategic recommendations
- Manage the cash flow and prepare cash flow forecasts
- Monitor costs and work actively to reduce costs where appropriate
- Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate
- Monitor compliance with debt covenants
- Assist in obtaining the necessary licenses and insurance required to manage ongoing business operations
- Work with other centers as needed to assist in development of tools for improvement of operational efficiency and financial health
- Assist in the evaluation of M&A opportunities and ensure the successful integration of acquisitions from an accounting, finance, and regulatory perspective
- Accountable for the completion, execution, storage and retention of all corporate agreements and documents in compliance with current legislation
Payroll Preparation and Administration
- Oversee all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner
- Negotiate and manage employee insurance and benefits plans
- Process and submit statutory and benefits remittances on time
- Monitor and ensure compliance of payroll processing
- Ensure timely and accurate issuances of W2s and 1099s
- Establish guidelines for budget and forecast preparation, and prepare the annual budget
- Assist and educate other centers in the preparation of their respective budgets
- Report periodically and regularly on budget to actual variances
- Evaluate the need for new technology to meet the organization's financial data processing, control, and reporting requirements
- Review and monitor technology to ensure that financial information of the company, employees, and clients is secure
- Analyze and improve business process workflow and reporting
- Monitor risk management policies and procedures to ensure that organizational risks are minimized
- Advise leadership on appropriate insurance coverage for the organization
- Participate in negotiations with the Bank for lines of credit or other financial services as required and appropriate
- Assist in the management of all leases, contracts and other financial commitments
- Monitor all legislation relevant to the organization (employment standards, occupation health and safety, etc.) to ensure that the organization is compliant
- Supervise, mentor, and develop the finance center team members
- Groom and develop potential successors from within and outside the organization
- Behave ethically
- Update the Lloyd Leadership Team on the firm’s performance against financial objectives
- Maintain CPA designation by completing required CPE credit
- Remain current in accounting and regulatory changes and communicate changes to management
- Participate in networking events
- Engage proactively with external constituents including accountants, bankers, and attorneys
- Act as a Lloydian cultural ambassador, representing and exemplifying the firm’s core values and behavioral norms at all times
Develop Strategy and Vision
- Participate in policy development as a member of the Lloyd Leadership Team (LLT)
- Participates in the Lloyd Leadership Team’s planning activities
- Leads and develops the Finance Team’s strategy and vision in support of Lloyd Group objectives
- Initiate and facilitate the development of a Finance Center capable of efficiently and effectively supporting the firm’s current fiscal management needs while accommodating plans for growth
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Knowledge of contracting, negotiating, and change management. Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems. Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations. Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections.
- Requires professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects. Ability to participate in and facilitate group meetings.
- A willingness to work a flexible schedule.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Occasional evening and / or weekend work may be required.
Base Compensation: $120,000
- Weekly Lloyd Leadership Team meetings
- Coaching & Development with external consultants
- 1-1’s with direct reports
- 1-1’s with CEO
- Various conferences
- Additional meetings may be required
Travel to various offices and off-sites.